Susan Sarich, SusieCakes founder and EY's 2016 Entrepreneur of the Year, bounced around jobs until she realized she was missing out on life's milestones. So instead, she started a bakery to celebrate them. She shares her recipe for financially preparing your business, fighting rejection from 22 banks, spreading the word about your product, and finding a team that will understand and expand your vision.
Thank you Wistia for supporting Don't Keep Your Day Job! Start your free account today at wistia.com
Thanks to SkillShare for supporting Don’t Keep your Day Job! Get one month of unlimited access -- absolutely FREE! Go to www.skillshare.com/DreamJob
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Before you jump in, ask yourself - "do I know enough about this industry?"
- Have a financial model before you start.
- Surround yourself with people who support you unconditionally.
- Don’t let the naysayers deter you.
- Don’t let the fear of failure take precedence over the need to see your dream come to life.
- Work hard.
- Be nice to people
- It all comes down to gratitude.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- SusieCakes website
- Read Susan Sarich’s story here
- Follow them on Facebook and Instagram
- Cornell School of Hotel Administration
- Susan’s odd jobs: Hyatt Hotels, House of Blues, Lettuce Entertain You, Ian Schrager Hotel Company
- European butter vs. American butter
- SusieCakes locations in California & Texas
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.