Mignon Fogarty isn’t just the creator, host, and persona behind the highly acclaimed podcast, Grammar Girl. She’s also a bestselling author and the founder of the amazing podcast network, Quick and Dirty Tips. But when she started, there was no guarantee that this new podcasting frontier was a worthy sacrifice for her well-paid, yet soul-crushing freelance job. How did she eventually construct a clear brand with loyal followers? She also shares her secrets on what has made her podcast a success, how she uses social media without getting overwhelmed, and why it’s important to stay open even in a world of uncertainty.
Thanks to VideoBlocks for supporting Don’t Keep Your Day Job. Get your 7-day FREE TRIAL with videoblocks.com/dreamjob.
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- When you’re creating your business and starting small, diversify your source of revenue. Find as many different ways to earn money.
- Determine what you’re good at, and then work your butt off to grow those skills.
- When it comes to social media, find one or two that you love and then put as much effort as you can into those platforms.
- In branding, consistency is key.
- You don’t have to be perfect when you start. Don’t let great be the enemy of good.
- If there’s something out there that you want but doesn’t exist - go make it.
- Opening yourself up to what is possible and believing you can do it is just half the battle.
- Don’t let fear of judgment or rejection stop you from pursuing your dreams and goals. Put yourself out there and remember, “What’s the worst thing that could happen?”
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Listen to the Grammar Girl podcast
- Follow Mignon on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
- Read her books
- Watch her TEDTalk
- Explore the other podcasts from Quick and Dirty Tips
- What were dot-com startups?
- Science Friday
- Wall Street Journal’s article on Grammar Girl
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss
- Macmillan Publishers
- Mignon's position as Chair in Media Entrepreneurship at University of Nevada, Reno
- Camp NaNoWriMo
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.