How to Use the New Creative Business Model - Ari Herstand
Ari Herstand - blogger, musician, indie artist encyclopedia, and now published author - joins Cathy to discuss his favorite unconventional strategies to invent opportunities and increase your income. How can you leverage the internet to crowdfund your career? When should you reset and reevaluate your goals? He also shares the importance of understanding your full business, stories of small artists who became a success from Periscope and Patreon, and the doors that unexpectedly open when you say “yes” to the side man trumpet gig.
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- The old model is broken.
- Why are you as an artist?
- Know what your goals are. Make a goal sheet with tangible goals.
- Revisit your goal sheet every year.
- You’re the boss. Understand the full business before you delegate.
- Don’t pass your business to someone you don’t know.
- It’s all about the journey. Don’t think that when you get there, it’s all going to be rosy.
- When you start off, be open to opportunities even if they don’t fit in your plan - until you’re so busy, you can’t say yes.
- Your audience is real life and online.
- If you’re not getting booked, book yourself.
- Master the one platform that inspires you the most.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Ari Herstand's Website
- Ari Herstand's blog, Ari’s Take
- Ari's book, How To Make It in the New Music Business
- Clare Means on Periscope
- Peter Hollens on YouTube
- Pomplamoose on YouTube
- Jack Conte's Patreon
- Amanda Palmer on Patreon
- NACA (National Association for Campus Activities)
- Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson
- LA Times article on Alanis Morrisette's manager
- Brent Morgan on YouNow
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.