Mandy Moore is an Emmy-nominated choreographer, whose routines have been performed in So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing With the Stars, Silver Linings Playbook, and that film you might’ve heard of, La La Land. Mandy's work has always been about happiness and joy, but she stumbled at times, losing her confidence. She shares why she's now grateful for those dark times, why it’s okay to be lame, and why you shouldn’t settle for the first option.
Thank you LeTote! Go to Letote.com and use promo code dreamjob to get 50% off your first month.
Thanks to the Work In Progress podcast! Follow along on Twitter @slackstories or at slack.com/podcast.
Thank you Brooklinen! Get $20 off plus free shipping when you go to Brooklinen.com use promo code dreamjob.
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
- Don't stop listening to yourself.
- Life doesn’t stop, the meetings don’t stop.
- Some jobs are better than others, but you keep taking the work.
- Be a good listener, but also speak your truth.
- Do your homework, even if it takes days or weeks. Show that you're invested in the work.
- Be there 100% or die trying.
- Don’t settle for option 1. There are always other possibilities to explore.
- Be ready to fail a lot. It's okay to be lame.
- Art isn't always about the pain, the depression, or the gloom. It can be about joy and happiness and love.
- Know what you do well. Find out who you are and evolve with it.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Follow Mandy on Twitter and Instagram
- So You Think You Can Dance (FOX)
- Dancing With the Stars (ABC)
- Frisco, Colorado
- Edge Performing Arts Center
- Carrie Ann Inaba, Dancing With the Stars judge
- All American Girl
- Producers Nigel Lythgoe, Conrad Green
- History of American Idol
- SYTYCD Executive Producer Jeff Thacker
- Tyce Diorio, choreographer
- SYTYCD Sabra and Dominic duet to The Pretenders "I'll Stand By You"
- SYTYCD Season 7 finale Lauren Frodoman and Kent Boyd, aka Mandy's "dark times"
- So You Think You Can Dance UK
- Mandy's Emmy-nominated routines "Boogie Shoes" and "Sweet Dreams"
- Governor of Choreographers Peer Group at the Television Academy
- La La Land, starring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone
- Silver Linings Playbook - the dance with Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence
- Director David O. Russell
- American Hustle
- Sleeping with Other People, starring Jason Sudekis
- Musician Garth Brooks, the only celebrity that gets Mandy starstruck
- La La Land director Damien Chazelle, producers Fred Berger and Jordan Horowitz
- Gail Mancuso (Modern Family)
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.