Installation artist David Wiseman always loved design and drawing, but it was a small, ceramic deer that really kicked off his career. Since then, David’s ceiling installations have been featured in venues such as Christian Dior Shanghai, Design Miami, and global cities like London, New York, and Los Angeles. David lays out the foundational values that have carried him throughout his craftsmanship - hy artists can make money and not be sellouts, and why sharing your creative passion is a privilege and a responsibility for humanity.
Thank you Blue Apron! Check out this week’s menu and get your first three meals FREE — with FREE SHIPPING — at BlueApron.com/DREAMJOB.
Thank you Beachbody On Demand! Text DreamJob to 303030 for a FREE trial membership and get full access to this entire platform for FREE!
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- A blank ceiling is intimidating, but don't focus on the big picture. Break it down. Work on it little by little.
- When there’s a will, there’s a way.
- When you put something out into the world, it comes back to you.
- Know what's already out there and find out - what are you offering that’s new?
- You’re not a sellout if you want to make things that will be appreciated by other people.
- It's a responsibility and a privilege to provide an artistic, emotional experience.
- Don’t worry what the model looks like. The truth is on your paper.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- David Wiseman website
- Follow David on Instagram and Facebook
- Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
- RISD's Pre-college Program
- The Salvation Army - you never know what you'll find there
- Plastica in Los Angeles, owned by Carla Denker
- Frank Zappa's daughter, Moon Zappa
- Todd Oldham, artist, designer, fashion designer
- David working on the West Hollywood Public Library
- Christian Dior
- R Gallery
- Design Miami and Art Basel
- David's profile in Art in Embassies - chandelier for US Embassy in Spain for James Costos and Michael Smith
- Roseanne Somerson, RISD President
- Adam Silverman, ceramics artist
- Frogtown, Los Angeles
- Design Sponge
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.