How to Find Happiness After "Happy Days" | Q&A - Don Most
Cathy answers your questions about how to break through an overly saturated market, and whether you should keep persisting or try a new approach. Then she chats with actor Donny Most, who gained stardom as the beloved Ralph Malph on the incredible TV show "Happy Days." After leaving the series, Don faced the harsh reality of typecasting in Hollywood - but used the obstacles to open new doors for creativity. Don explains how he eventually pursued his first love of singing big band swing, what has kept him humble throughout the fame, and why you should forget the safety net and just trust yourself.
Thanks to the Work In Progress podcast! Follow along on Twitter @slackstories or at slack.com/podcast.
Thank you LeTote! Go to Letote.com and use promo code dreamjob to get 50% off your first month.
Thank you Beachbody On Demand! Text DreamJob to 303030 for a FREE trial membership and get full access to this entire platform for FREE!
TAKEAWAYS FROM DON:
- Let go and trust yourself - even if there's no safety net.
- If you have a passion that you love and you know it's in your heart, then do it. But you have to be single-minded about it.
- Perseverance will take you far.
- There's no stopping life, which means there's no stopping on your dreams.
- Aim high and shoot straight.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- DonnyMost.com - learn about Don Most’s work in music, film & TV, and directing
- Follow Don on Facebook and Twitter
- Listen to Don Most's album, D Most Mostly Swinging on Amazon, iTunes
- Ed Sheeran's quote: "'Writing songs and playing live is like turning on a tap in an old house; first you’ll get the mud and dirty water, but the more you get it out, the quicker the good water starts flowing."
- Halo Top now the #1 seller of pints of ice cream (Business Insider)
- Ira Glass's The Gap
- Previous guests on the podcast - Elise Cripe, Ari Herstand, Saul Blinkoff
- The Jolson Story with Larry Parks
- Garry Marshall, director / producer / writer
- Happy Days
- The Odd Couple
- The Dick Van Dyke Show
- Ralph Malph (Don) singing on Happy Days
- A few actors on the Happy Days cast Ron Howard, Tom Bosley, Henry Winkler
- Opie on The Andy Griffith Show
- Jerry Paris, Happy Days director
- Don's villain on Star Trek Voyager
- Don as Emma's dad on Glee
- Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Bobby Darin - Don's musical idols
- Michael Buble, Harry Connick Jr, Diana Krall - artists who brought back big band
- Metropolitan Club in New York
- Vitello's Restaurant in Studio City
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.