Halo Top President & COO Doug Bouton planned to quit his lawyer job from the day he started. What motivated him to abandon a steady six-figure income and help start a healthy ice cream business with no safety net? Find out how Halo Top used grassroots marketing to build a strong social media following, what you should look for in a good business partner, and why you should just say “yes” to business opportunities - even if you don’t have a plan.
Thanks to Slack! Slack: Where work happens. Find out why at slack.com.
Thanks to RXBAR! Get 25% off your first order at RXbar.com/dreamjob promo code DREAMJOB.
Thanks to ShipStation! Try it for FREE for 30 days AND, get an additional month free with promo code DREAMJOB
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Stay the course, figure out what’s wrong, and correct it quickly enough before it’s too late.
- Persevere, keep putting yourself out there. Sometimes just one buyer is all it takes for a breakthrough.
- Just say yes and figure it out later.
- Never settle.
- Life is too short to be unhappy. If you aren't satisfied, make a change.
- The hardest part is taking initial jump. Once you leap off that ledge, there’s no going back.
- Work with someone who will join you in the trenches and fight with you during the hard times.
- Make sure your product or service can stand on its own without the brand - because brands are trends. They come and die.
- The worst day at your dream job is still tons better than best day at your day job.
- You can fool everybody in the world, but you can’t fool the man in the mirror.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Halo Top website
- Follow Halo Top on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter
- Check out all the delicious Halo Top flavors
- Find Halo Top Ice Cream near you (Kroger, Whole Foods, Target, Albertsons & many more)
- Georgetown College
- University of Virginia (UVA), one of the top law school
- Entourage (HBO)
- Venice Beach, CA
- The Strand
- Justin Woolverton, founder & CEO of Halo Top (and Doug's beloved business partner)
- Beware of predatory lending / predatory loans
- GQ's article on Halo Top
- Buzzfeed's article on Halo Top
- Grassroots marketing - benefits & ideas on how to build your grassroots army
- What makes a strong business partnership
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.