How to Start a Podcast
What do you need to make a good podcast? Why should you even start a podcast? How can the podcast-making process apply to your own creative business? In this behind-the-scenes episode, you’ll learn what tools and equipment are used for this show, how to find guests and interview them from the comforts of your own home, and how to leverage your content to engage and grow your audience.
Get the Podcast Checklist here
Thanks to Skillshare! Get a month of unlimited access -- absolutely FREE at www.skillshare.com/DreamJob.
Thanks to Blue Apron! Go to BlueApron.com/DREAMJOB and get your first THREE meals FREE—WITH FREE SHIPPING.
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- You don’t need to be famous, or be an expert to have a voice about something you love. Your enthusiasm is enough.
- Build it and they will come - you will find your tribe.
- It’s okay to be the C student. Take off the pressure to be perfect. And just go for it.
- Everyone wants to feel important and share their story.
- Give yourself a launch date or a deadline. Work backwards from there.
- If you want people’s attention, you have to pay the cost of their attention. Commit and show up consistently.
- Repurpose your episodes to grow your audience. Make the most out of your content.
- There's nothing wrong with doing something that you absolutely love to do.
- Listen to your audience's input and do your best to give them what they want.
- Words from the heart speak from the heart.
- Go out and create an audience. Don't wait for someone to give you approval.
- Leap and the net will appear. You just have to take the first step.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Get the Podcast Checklist here
- Grammar Girl podcast with Mignon Fogarty
- Grammar Girl Facebook page
- thescranline on Instagram - cakes + graphic design
- Zencastr - interview guests when they're miles and miles away
- Dropbox - file sharing service used with Zencastr
- A quick tutorial of editing in GarageBand
- Squarespace, WordPress, Wix - make a website
- Learn more about email lists in our episode with Amy Porterfield
- How to use Facebook ad targeting to find more audience
- Thumbtack - hire pros for every type of task
- Equipment: mic - Audio Technica, base / mic stand - Atlas DS7E, interface - M Audio M Track
- Pond5 or Premium Beat - royalty free music
- 99 Designs - graphic design, logo design, etc. services
- Our episode with potter Brian Ginewski
- Authentic - podcast ad sales services
- Our episode with TV writer David Sacks
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.