What does it mean to be boss? How can you create a life that your work supports, and not the other way around? Being Boss founders Emily Thompson and Kathleen Shannon are the masterminds behind the highly acclaimed Being Boss Podcast, the global Being Boss community, and now they have a book to spread their boss wisdom! These powerhouse ladies share their best tips on how to set boundaries, how to get clear about what you want, why taking your slice of success helps everyone else, and why you should always set a meeting with yourself.
- Want to start your own podcast? We're launching a course! Go to https://cathyheller.lpages.co/i-want-to-start-a-podcast/ for more info.
- Thanks Liquid IV! Get 20% off at Liquid-IV.com and use promo code dreamjob.
- Thank you Ritual! Invest in your health at Ritual.com/DREAMJOB.
- Thanks to LeTote! Get 50% your first month at Letote.com and enter promo code DREAMJOB.
- Thanks Skillshare! Get 2 months of Skillshare for just 99 cents at Skillshare.com/DREAMJOB
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Follow your curiosity. Figure out what you want to do all day and what you want to be known for.
- Being boss is creating a life that your work supports. Break through expectations, define who you are, show up, and do the work.
- Visualize your goals. Make physical space for them.
- Write a list of everything you’ve accomplished in your life. You’ll be surprised how much you’ve done.
- A boss understands and expects failure. But a boss also knows they’ll figure it out. Find the wrong paths to illuminate the right one.
- Build a wall around your garden. Protect what’s most important to you. Keep out the things you don’t want.
- The most important meeting of the day is your meeting with yourself.
- If you can dream it, plan it, and put it into action - it doesn’t mean you’re taking a slice from everyone else.
- Surround yourself with people who say your goals are achievable.
- Redefine what it means to be a hunter. It doesn’t always have to feel icky.
- Find your voice by using your voice.
- You’re not creating content in a saturated market. You’re creating content to get to know yourself better.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- BeingBoss.club for all things Being Boss
- Listen to the Being Boss podcast! Guests include:
- Cathy Heller - "Figure It Out As You Go with Cathy Heller"
- Marie Forleo - "Marie Forleo on Productivity & Intuition"
- David Heinemeier Hansson - "The Golden Egg with David Heinemeier Hansson"
- Brene Brown - "Vulnerability As A Creative with Brene Brown"
- Brooke Castillo - "Building A Customer-Focused Business with Brooke Castillo"
- Read Being Boss: Take Control of Your Work & Live Life On Your Own Terms
- Braid Creative and Consulting
- Almanac Supply Company
- Being Boss New Orleans NOLA Vacation
- Being Boss exercises:
- Make a list of 100 things you want to do
- Make space for what you want to do - The Chalkboard Method
- Make a list of things you've accomplished
- Set a meeting with yourself
- Have your own employee handbook for yourself
- Do something creative every day
- Hit publish
- Spend 15 minutes a day exploring something you're curious about
- Allow yourself to want this
- Go for it
- Our episode with The Office actress Jenna Fischer
- No Limits with Rebecca Jarvis
- Listener wins!
- @kamilanddesign - check out her awesome yoga pants!
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.