What essential ingredients will kickstart your creative business? How do you begin to create content and find your ideal audience? Christina Scalera, attorney, founder of The Contract Shop, and host of the Creative Empire Podcast has the insights on constructing your dream career - and making it legal. She shares her best tips on how to give your audience both what they want and what they need, how to increase revenue by working less, why a little vanity can be healthy, and how to change your "but" mentality.
- Thank you Audible! Get a free audiobook with a free 30 day trial at audible.com/DreamJob or text DreamJob to 500-500.
- Thanks Blue Apron! Check out this week’s menu and get $30 OFF —WITH FREE SHIPPING—by going to BlueApron.com/DREAMJOB.
- Thanks to Barkbox! Visit barkbox.com/dreamjob for a FREE EXTRA MONTH of BarkBox when you subscribe to a 6 or 12 month plan!
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Work smarter, not harder.
- You don't have to launch 5 things at once. Get one thing in place, do it well, and then move on to the next thing.
- Reframe the conversation about contracts. Get excited about the relationships, expectations, and end results that you're bringing to life.
- Give people a combination of what they want and what they need.
- You will find your tribe once you start creating the content.
- Put passion and enthusiasm in your content. That will resonate most with your audience.
- Wipe your own "buts". And just do it.
- Do the smallest thing possible to get one step closer. Even if that means going live at midnight when no one is watching.
- If it's more painful to keep it inside than it is to fail, that's when you know you were meant to do it.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Listen to the Creative Empire Podcast
- Listener wins!
- Kelly Newsome Georges, former attorney turned yogi
- Our episode with photographer & podcaster Jenna Kutcher
- Pat Flynn, podcaster and blogger
- Modern Calligraphy Summit
- Greg McKeown, author of Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
- Ask Method by Ryan Levesque, marketing expert
- Christina's approaches to find your audience:
- Pat Flynn method - Look on Amazon.com and read the 3 star reviews. What is each product or service missing?
- Form hypotheses around the top 3-5 topics that people want to hear about in your industry. Share your hypotheses by creating content and starting a conversation.
- Rev.com for captions
- Gary Vaynerchuk aka GaryVee on the cost of attention in digital media
- Chris Guillebeau, writer, podcaster, and a past guest on Don't Keep Your Day Job
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.