Venture capitalist, entrepreneur, and author Patrick McGinnis thought he was doing everything right by working on Wall Street. But now he’s using his book The 10% Entrepreneur to help aspiring entrepreneurs transition out of their day jobs and into a business that they truly love. Find out how you can start monetizing your creative talent, how he coined the term “FOMO” and how to get rid of it, and why you're not going to retire if you’re working with your passion.
Thanks to LeTote for supporting Don’t Keep Your Day Job! Go to LeTote.com and use promo code DreamJob for 50% off your first month!
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Do something that’s sustainable, diversified, and you gets you excited.
- This is a lifestyle. Create something that you can take everywhere you go until the last day of your life.
- Before you jump all in, test out your idea first. See how the market reacts to it.
- Surround yourself with people who can give you good advice and keep you accountable to your plan.
- You don’t have to work alone. Nobody can do everything well.
- Repurpose your time and cut out things that don’t matter to you.
- Live it and believe it.
MENTIONED ON THIS EPISODE:
- Buy his book, The 10% Entrepreneur: Live Your Startup Dream Without Quitting Your Day Job
- Get his FREE e-book, How to Become a 10% Entrepreneur
- Follow Patrick on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram
- University of Wisconsin study - Should I Quit My Day Job?
- The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
- Ipsy, one of the creative companies Patrick invested in
- Watch how Luke’s Lobster was inspired and how the business took off
- Masala Baby
- Clement & Claude
- Art Thinking by Amy Whitaker
- FOMO (fear of missing out) - it really is in the Oxford Dictionary!
- The history of FOMO and FOBO (fear of a better option)
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.