Rebecca Schweiger - internationally acclaimed artist, author, and founder of New York City’s #1 art school, the Art Studio NY - was already successfully selling her paintings in art galleries by the time she graduated college. But something was still missing. How did she transform her small New York apartment into an art studio where she could teach classes? What helped her increase her group of students from 5 to 1000? She also explains how she charged through the fear of starting a new chapter, why you shouldn’t try to be perfect, and why we as creative individuals need to give everyone the opportunity to experience art.
Thank you Blue Apron! Support the show by going to BlueApron.com/DREAMJOB and get your first three meals FREE—WITH FREE SHIPPING!
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
1. It's not enough to make great work. You also have to have a great attitude.
2. We need art. It gives us a sense of being alive, feeds the heart and soul, and creates a connection that we can't get anywhere else.
3. Be your #1 fan.
4. Write the scene of your success before it even exists - and act like it already does.
5. When we begin a new chapter, there’s excitement but also massive fear and self-criticism. Finding your "why" will help you overcome that fear.
6. The most important life you need to change first is your life.
7. There are areas where you’re an expert, areas where you’re a beginner - and all of them are wonderful.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Buy her new book (out today!) Release Your Creativity: Discover Your Inner Artist with 15 Simple Painting Projects
Press for the Art Studio NY from outlets such as Time Out New York, NY Magazine, NBC, New York Times, Boston Globe
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.