Carly Cylinder is a floral designer, author, and owner of a thriving flower business, Flour LA. Although a devout lover of all things floral, her dedication towards her dream wasn't always as strong. She explains how she rebuilt her company after moving across the country, how she finally convinced doubtful publishers to make her book, and why perseverance will ultimately lead you to your goal.
Thanks to Wistia for supporting Don’t Keep Your Day Job! Start your free account today at wistia.com.
Thank you Blue Apron for making this show possible! Go to BlueApron.com/DREAMJOB and get your first three meals FREE - with FREE SHIPPING!
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
1. Don't dive into something just because people say it's what you're "supposed to do." Do what makes you happy.
2. Persistence is key. Don't take no for an answer.
3. Find loyal people that you trust to work with you. Treat them well.
4. Running a business has its headaches - but it's worth the freedom.
5. Be mindful of your expenses when you first begin. Be resourceful.
6. When you've done the work, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. Fight for what you deserve.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Flour LA, Inc. website
Carly's book, The Flower Chef
Find your way to the Flower District in NYC
Agent Query - find a literary agent to help you get a publisher
Tim Ferriss The 4-Hour Work Week
Help A Reporter Out - for journalists and sources
Carly's favorite flowers - sweet pea flowers
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.