What Are You Meant to Do - Jeff Goins
Is it possible that many artists are far from starving? Are all successful artists truly an original? Debunk the myths about "real artists" with best-selling author and blogger Jeff Goins, who built the bridge of his writing career with a few essential steps - and a ton of commitment. He shares how much time you should dedicate to marketing your craft, why you need to identify who you are, when you should (and shouldn't) be stubborn, and how to cultivate an apprentice-patron relationship with someone who has influenced you.
- Thank you Liquid IV! Get 20% off at liquidiv.com and use promo code dreamjob
- Thanks to Weebly! Go to weebly.com/dreamjob to get 15% off your first purchase.
- Thanks Slack! Slack: Where work happens. Go to slack.com to learn more.
- Thank you Allbirds! Go to https://www.allbirds.com and find a pair of comfy, tree shoes.
- Thanks to FTD! Get 25% off with FTD.com/MothersDay
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- You can do the thing you love, but if you want to make it a business you must adopt disciplines that go beyond the hobby.
- Build the bridge instead of taking the leap.
- Before telling your life what you'll do with it, listen to it tell you who you are.
- Be willing to be the apprentice before trying to become the master.
- Pivot around the obstacles instead of trying to run through it. Let failures be the sign posts that redirect you along the journey.
- It's not about being the most talented. It's about knowing what the market wants.
- Great art starts with copying, but it doesn't end there.
- Be stubborn on vision, be flexible on details.
- Cultivate patrons. Do the work, then reach out and say "Thank you for X. It helped me do Y. What about Z?"
- Find out what you really want and how that aligns with who you really are. Don't get trapped being a success at the wrong thing.
- Start the race knowing that you're already enough. Once you win the race, you can either keep moving the finish line - or keep running just for the fun of it.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Jeff Goin's blog, GoinsWriter.com
- Books by Jeff Goins:
- Let Your Life Speak: Listening to the Voice of Vocation by Parker Palmer
- History of apprenticeship -> journeyman -> master
- Blog posts mentioned:
- The truth about Michelangelo's wealth - "Poverty of world's richest artist" (Guardian)
- The Gift by Lewis Hyde
- The Creative Habit: Learn It And Use It For Life by Twyla Tharpe
- Quote: Amazon CEO & Founder Jeff Bezos - "We're stubborn on vision, flexible on details."
- Michelangelo & Medici patronage - "The Forgery That Earned Michelangelo His First Roman Patron" (Artsy)
- Listener wins!
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.