The Office star Jenna Fischer (Pam Beesly) is one of the most recognizable faces on screen, but her career wasn't an overnight success. How did the years of small acting gigs and endless day jobs train her to become the phenomenal actress she is today? Jenna shares some of the most important lessons from her new book, The Actor's Life, including how to transform rejection into positive perspective, how to self-assess and improve your work, and how to follow the signs - even if they lead you towards a different dream.
- Wanna be notified when Cathy rolls out her course? Sign up here https://cathyheller.lpages.co/course-waitlist-page/
- Thanks to LeTote! Go to LeTote.com and enter promo code DREAMJOB at checkout for 50% off your first month.
- Thanks Allbirds! Go to https://www.allbirds.com/ and find a pair of comfy, wool shoes.
- Thank you HouseCallPro! For free activation go to HouseCallPro.com/dreamjob
- Thank you Third Love! Get 15% off your first purchase at Thirdlove.com/dreamjob
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- You can't just want it. You also need training.
- In the life of an artist, one moment can change everything. But it doesn't change everything forever.
- Look for ways to express your creativity on your own. Don't sit around and wait for the opportunity to come.
- The first thing you make might be a load of crap. But make it anyway. Done is better than perfect.
- Practice self-assessment. Look at your work and ask, "Is this good? If not, how can I make it better?"
- If the world seems to want it from you, then keep going.
- Just because it's not easy, it doesn't mean you're on the wrong path.
- Sometimes your initial dream is meant to lead you towards a different dream. And that's okay.
- Stand out by being great and ready to work.
- Know the lingo, understand your place in the machine, and have a high level of professionalism.
- A person's success is often determined by how long they spent feeling sorry for themselves. So stop saying "Woe is me". Pick yourself up, and start climbing that mountain.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Follow Jenna Fischer on Twitter and Instagram
- The Actor's Life: A Survival Guide by Jenna Fischer
- Splitting Up Together, Jenna's upcoming show on ABC
- The Office, the hugely popular TV show
- The Artists' Way by Julia Cameron
- LolliLove, Jenna's mockumentary film with James Gunn, Linda Cardellini, Judy Greer, Jason Segel, Peter Alton
- Filmmaker Christopher Guest
- Other amazing TV shows that should've had greater longevity
- Actor Rainn Wilson (aka Dwight Schrute)
- The Man Who Invented the Moon, a short film written by Jenna's husband Lee Kirk
- Allison Jones, casting director
- Roseanne, a revival of the hit TV show
- BenBella Books, a publishing company
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.