How to Turn Pain into Purpose - The Last Bookstore's Josh Spencer
How do you turn your pain into purpose, and then go on to create one of the most successful independent bookstores in the world? Josh Spencer has survived his own rough chapters of his life’s story, including a near-fatal injury and living on welfare. But instead of letting that get him down, he dreamed bigger, acted bigger, and created the Last Bookstore in Downtown Los Angeles, California’s largest used and new book and record store. He shares his wisdom on how to strengthen your mindset to transform the suffering into the sweet, why you have nothing to lose, and how to take control as the protagonist to your own life's story.
- Grab the cheat sheet on How to Turn Pain into Purpose! https://dont-keep-your-day-job.mykajabi.com/josh-spencer
- Join a DKYDJ meetup group! dontkeepyourdayjob.com/meetup-groups
- Thanks to BioClarity! Get 15% off your first purchase by going to bioclarity.com/dreamjob
- Thanks Skillshare! Skillshare.com/dreamjob for 2 months of Skillshare for just 99 cents.
- Thanks Robin Hood! Get a FREE stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint to help build your portfolio! dreamjob.robinhood.com
- Thank you Ring! Get your special offer on a Ring Starter Kit at Ring.com/dreamjob
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
Just because something bad happens in your life, it doesn’t mean that it’s meaningless.
Out of the eater, something to eat - out of the strong, something sweet.
You are the protagonist of your story. Embrace the plot twists along the way. Just don’t let your life become a boring story.
The easy way out isn’t always the answer. There’s more reward and satisfaction in choosing to face the struggle.
Just try it out. If it fails, so what? Life goes on.
Create more than a product or a service. Create an experience.
Sometimes the best ideas come from your own desire to fill in the gaps.
Life is short, so why not give it your all? You’ve got nothing to lose.
Lean on people in your life. Be open to receive their love, and love in return.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Welcome to the Last Bookstore, The Atlantic's short documentary on Josh Spencer
Brady Westwater, LA's real life cowboy
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.