How to Make the Jump - Mike Lewis
How do you prepare to make the jump? When do you know you're ready? Author Mike Lewis took his own leap from a stable financial job to a traveling pro squash player, and then to the founder of When To Jump - a community that inspires and instructs people all around the world to make that major change towards the career of their dreams. Find out the four steps to follow before your jump, why you need to find your one north star, and how simply envisioning your full potential can lead to unbelievable opportunities.
Thanks FTD! Get 25% off with FTD.com/MothersDay
Thanks Dagne Dover! Get 20% off your purchase at dagnedover.com/dreamjob and enter code DREAMJOB.
Thank you Skillshare! Get 2 months of Skillshare for just 99 cents at Skillshare.com/DREAMJOB.
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Any jump starts when the little voice won't go away. Listen to it.
- Make a plan. Put away money, look for the people who will support you, try it out part-time.
- Let yourself be lucky. Don't wait for full certainty - that's where jumps die.
- Embrace failure. Look forward to it.
- It won't become "more" overnight. It starts with the mini, unsexy steps that can make it something more.
- Use your adversity to your advantage. Hardship helps.
- Envision yourself as the baker, the jewelry maker, the pro squash athlete. If you don't, no one will.
- Find your one north star - the one person who lives in the same terms you believe in.
- Say you can crush it. Because you can, and you will.
- Dream big, act small.
- Success happens from facing the failure and the restarts, and coming back the next day.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Get the book! When to Jump, If the Job You Have Isn't the Life You Want by Mike Lewis
- Listen to When to Jump Podcast
- When to Jump - Jump School
- ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- Sheryl Sandberg
- 4 Phases of the "Jump Curve"
- Listen to the little voice in your head.
- Make a plan.
- Financial planning - put away money
- Safety net sewing - let people know what you plan to do, and find supporters
- Pre-jump practice - do it part-time, shadow someone in the industry
- Let yourself be lucky.
- Once you jump, don't look back.
- Joe Gebbia, Airbnb co-founder
- Danny Meyer, CEO Union Square Hospitality Group & Founder of Shake Shack
- Emirates Airline Festival of Literature - where Mike was a keynote speaker
- Arianna Huffington, founder of Huffington Post
- The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
- Quote - "When you think about the things that you will regret when you’re 80, they’re almost always the things that you did not do. They’re acts of omission. Very rarely are you going to regret something that you did that failed and didn’t work..." Jeff Bezos, Amazon CEO & Founder
- Mike's daily affirmations
- Listener wins!
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.