How can you transform adversity into a gift? Author, TED speaker, podcaster, and firefighter Shelli Varela didn't let her 5'2" frame or the naysayers extinguish her dreams of becoming a female firefighter in a male-dominated career. But how did she break down the physical and mental barriers? She explains the steps to understanding fear, changing your story, and discovering your life's purpose through passion, curiosity, and feeling.
Thanks eHarmony! Get a free month with eHarmony when they sign up for a 3 month subscription! Go to eHarmony.com and enter DREAMJOB at checkout.
Thank you Skillshare! Go to Skillshare.com/DREAMJOB99 for 2 months of Skillshare for just 99 cents.
Thanks to Aaptiv! New members get 50% off annual membership http://www.aaptiv.com/DREAMJOB.
TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Everything, everything, everything is possible.
- Figure out the order of operations: what do you have to do, and what do you have to do first?
- In many instances, adversity is a gift if you allow it.
- You can't catch a dream unless you chase it first.
- You have the power to change your story.
- Instead of asking, "what is my passion?" - ask yourself "what am I curious about without judgment?" and "how do I want to feel?"
- Don't pay attention to where you are. Only look at the end goal.
- If there's something that drives you, seek people like you. It makes the journey easier and a lot less lonely.
- Stop asking others for validation. The answers are inside you.
- The moment you say yes, the universe conspires to help you.
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Shelli's podcast, The Yes Effect
- Shelli's book Peanut Meets the Pigtailed Firefighter
- Shelli's TED Talk, "Hacking Possibility"
- Elizabeth Gilbert's talk on finding your passion
- The Yes Effect in Entrepreneur's list of 48 Best Podcasts for Entrepreneurs
Thank you so much for listening!
If you have any general questions or comments for the show, click here.
If you'd like to advertise with us, click here.